Tuesday 17 February 2015

Lino Printing Workshop

For some time now I have wanted to go on one of Anna Pye's lino cutting workshops and last week I was very pleased that I was finally able to  attend one. I arrived with my sketch books and photographs but no fixed idea of what I wanted to print. It was the technique that I was keen to learn.

In the end my choice of inspiration was easy, I couldn't wait to start using some of my Chilean photographs and chose one of a flamingo in the salt flats. I toyed with making the flamingo more dominant but decided to include the landscape elements whilst I could get guidance from Anna, as the landscape was likely to feature in my future work.


I was chipping away at the lino but it' s only when the first print was made that the qualities of the image became clear.  

It was interesting to see how differently the image looked when I used different coloured ink or printed on different coloured paper.


Most of the prints were made using a printing press but Anna showed us how we could print at home without one but this doesn't stop me wanting a press! 


I made many variations of the print and I think this was my favourite of the day. This was printed with a mix of blue and white ink and I confess that this ink mixture was created by one of the other students - thank you Colin! 


I was quite pleased with this as a first attempt but there are things that I would do differently if I were to do it again. I'm not surprised by this though, it's a new technique and is quite different to the other techniques I have used previously. I came home wanting to do some more lino printing and really fancy printing some Christmas cards.....I should have time to do that surely?

As well as running courses from her studio Anna will also be running workshops at Art Van Go

2 comments:

  1. I love the depth you have achieved in that last print. I did do Lino printing years ago but would still love to have a day with Anna... One day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see your prints on your blog Marian, what a fun day it was - I must download and organise all my photos!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you