Tuesday 24 July 2012

Festival of Quilts

My spare time has been in short supply recently but any time I have had has been taken up with stitching. The reason for the frantic stitching has been the looming deadline for getting my entries into the Festival of Quilts (FOQ), which will be held next month at the NEC, Birmingham. You will see from the close-up that it has involved a lot of stitching.


Here is the finished piece which is 41 by 26 inches. I have entered this in the 'Art Quilt' category.


You may remember that this quilt will also be used as my first Whispers piece. I told the Whispers Group that my piece would have a portrait orientation and this is what the rest of the group have planned around. Which orientation do you prefer?


I have also submitted a piece that I produced during my City & Guilds course but I decided to make a few tweaks, just to keep myself under pressure. This piece was based on my drawing of a local field:


And here is the piece I created from it. I have entered this into the 'Pictoral Quilt' category.


So here they are packed and ready to go.


I must admit I am starting to feel a little apprehensive about my entries, mainly because they are not created in the traditional quilting tradition. Will they be acceptable? I'll be paying more attention to the quilting techniques used this year which is what I should have done last year! Will they get get hung? Only time will tell.

6 comments:

  1. Both are lovely pieces of work. I think I prefer the Whispers piece as portrait, but it also looks good landscape! I really like the field quilt, it is very striking. Good luck with the exhibition!
    Jane
    www.texturetrail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good wishes and also for your input to the potrait v landscape debate. I followed the link and have enjoyed looking at your blog.

      Delete
  2. They look good to me Marian. I like the Whispers piece as portrait too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Gridlock' was my favourite from the competition quilts - it definately worked well in landscape format . I didn't get round to the pictorial section so sorry to have missed your fields.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your 'Drawn To Fields' at the show and really liked it. I did a line drawing of a field of lavender several years ago and your quilt reminded me of that. My marks are very different from yours but it has been in my mind to re-interpret it in fabric and stitch. Your quilt is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments - it would be great to hear from you